Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Muse Rides Along In the Backseat

MJ and I had a fantastic long weekend visiting family and friends. I think I ate my year's quota of pie and cheescake, and probably fulfilled the year's quota for talking politics too (something I will spare you all from on this blog ;)).

But an unexpectedly wonderful part? All the day dreaming on the nine-hour drive back home. I spent most of the trip letting MJ drive, with my feet up on the dash, listening to the radio and thinking about Stories I Would Like To Tell.  I think the next book is going to be a YA mystery novel. Concept, plot and characters all came to me during that painfully long car ride. Hey, I'll take some stiff muscles for a new storyline.

Here's my tentative hook:


Dia and Sam are best friends who share their secrets and support each other unquestioningly – but when Sam attempts suicide, Dia sets out to unravel the secrets her friend hasn’t told before Sam can try again.

More to come. :) I'm very excited and working on an in-depth outline and character sketches now, though I also have lots of work to do on The Goddess of Vengeance so that I can finish up revisions and start querying!

Now, I just wish I had a title...

Where do you guys get your best inspiration?

4 comments:

Old Kitty said...

What a fun weekend!! Pie, politics and plot outlines!! Wonderful!!! Good luck with the Goddess of Vengeance re-writes!! I think this hook is great - it's already got mystery and conflict brewing up nicely! Yay for you!!!

Inspiration?? Daydreaming works as does watching other people too!

Take care
x

Andrea Coulter said...

I LOVE thinking about novels while in the car! It's that motion, I think; it stimulates my brain and I get some of my best plot/character/story ideas then.

The new concept sounds great! The only comment I have is that the main characters' names remind me of Sam & Diane (from Cheers, though I had to go look that up. but they're a pair of names that might distract from the story.) Maybe changing Sam to something else would work? Love the name Dia. Good luck finishing up TGOV!

Colene Murphy said...

Glad you had a good holiday!

Your new book idea sounds like it could be something incredible! Good luck!

Shelley Sly said...

I get lots of ideas in car rides, too! I'm with Lynn, maybe the motion gets our brains going. I like the premise, mostly because I dig stories about secrets. It's true to life; there's so much we don't know about the people around us. Can't wait to hear more about this story!