Wednesday, April 6, 2011

F is for... F is for...

When I was trying to come up with a topic for E, I brainstormed words that start with E and I just kept coming up with eels. Why yes, Brain, eels starts with no one but TWO E's, but that alone doesn't make eels a great blog post topic.

Today with F I'm stuck on fish. There's a whole under-the-sea theme going on in my subconscious.

But let's move on to F for forensic pathology.  As a kid, I was obsessed with forensic pathology.  I watched "X-Files" and "Silence of the Lambs" at an embarrassingly tender age.  I read forensic science textbooks and pathology case studies.

I planned to become a forensic pathologist right up until I realized it was thirteen years of further education post-high school and that I just could. not. commit.  And then I studied history in college, which was every bit of gruesome as forensic pathology, and went off into the Marines and generally forgot about the entire subject. I don't even watch C.S.I.

Recently, though, I started writing mysteries, often mysteries in historic settings, and I remember bits of case studies I read fifteen years ago. I've been surprised to realize that it's true nothing you ever learn is ever really lost (details, yes, general concepts, no), and I'm not sure any interest ever fades away completely. 

So now, instead of that weird kid reading true crime, I'm that weird adult reading articles from the International Journal of Forensic Science. Booya.

7 comments:

Summer Frey said...

Yes! I was into forensics too and had the same plan as you, until I also found out how much school it entailed. :)

Hannah said...

I had the forensic psychology plan, combining two interests. I'm still debating that one but I'm getting too old for school.

Stina said...

At one point I too wanted to be a forensic pathologist, but then realized my stomach probably couldn't handle decomposing bodies and badly burned bodies.

N. R. Williams said...

My daughter is into this. Clarissa Draper at Listen to the Voices blogs about this in relation to mystery writing. I have no interest in gore but I appreciate those who can take this kind of knowledge and spin a great tale.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

The Writing Goddess said...

Wanted to write something charming and witty here, but forensic pathology... not a lot of humor material there, ya know.

Interesting post, though. :-)

Ellen Brickley said...

When I was about fifteen, forensic pathology was the 'in' thing to want to be when you grew up - interestingly, as it was pre-CSI! I'm glad an early ambition is paying off for you, though.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an air hostess. Sadly the potential for using this in novels is limited.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for knowledge!!!!!

I always wanted to be a vet until I realised the science and blood involved. Being completely squeamish and thoroughly illogical I decided to read history at uni too and you are so right - turned out to be as bloody and horrific and traumatising!!

Take care
x