Monday, February 22, 2010

Whoops! Blogfest

In honor of Laurel's awesome Whoops! Blogfest, I have a very short embrassing scene from Shards (that I feel perfectly summarizes many of my encounters with first love as a teenager):

April wished the drive home would take longer. When Nick pulled into her driveway, it was hard to leave the warm car.

“Thank you,” she said.

“No problem.”

On impulse she leaned over to hug him. The clutch jabbed her in the stomach, and Nick, obviously surprised by her lunge, pulled away. April hugged him awkwardly and then escaped back to her own seat, her cheeks suddenly flushed. “Bye,” she muttered, throwing the car door open.

“April-” Nick said.

She slammed his door shut behind her and ran for the house. When had she become so incompetent? At everything?

15 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh I remember that feeling. Great post.

Roxy said...

So relatable! That was like revisiting every first date I ever had. Funny. Good job!

Just Another Sarah said...

Short, but to the point--it accomplishes what it needs to! Very awkward scene--but very nice.

Shelley Sly said...

Hehe, awkward first-love is such an easy think to relate to. It's that feeling where you just want to hide under a rock. Well written scene.

I also wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog. :)

Laurel Garver said...

Cute and oh-so familiar feeling. Thanks for participating in the fest and making it fun!

Tere Kirkland said...

Haven't we all been there? ;)

Love the snippet, but I bet there's a way to avoid actually using the word "awkwardly" when she hugs him that would make the whole passage that much stronger!

Great job!

Nicole Settle said...

ooh awkward! I have total sympathy for her.

Julie said...

Been there, done that! Wow, its the simple things that seem so difficult at that age.

Amalia Dillin said...

You did a great job showing the awkwardness in such a short scene! There's nothing worse than refused gestures of affection--even if they're only accidentally refused!

Guinevere said...

Thanks guys! It's neat to see all the new visitors as well as old friends, I'll have to visit your blogs! :)

Thanks Shelley! Aww, it's a kitty. I have a weakness for kitties (as indicated by the number of them in my house).

Tere, that's a great point. I'll have to give that sentence some thought.

Tara said...

That was perfectly captured. I can't imagine there's anyone who couldn't relate!

Tiffany Neal said...

So simple and honest - something I can definitely relate to!! :)

dolorah said...

Love this scene; it's so real.

......dhole

Guinevere said...

Thanks all! sounds like we've all had our terrifically awkward moments. :)

Laurel Garver said...

Hi again. When you get a moment, could you pop by my blog and let me know where you heard about the Whoops! Blogfest? I'd promised a prize to my best shout-out helper, but I can't figure out who to thank. Gracias!